Sunday, April 27, 2014

April 26th. 26 point 2 miles. Age 26. Bib #26082. Nashville Rock N Roll Marathon!!!


 YAY! I successfully completed my first full marathon distance: 26.2!! :) 


 Leslie and I after the finish line! Thank you again Leslie for driving and assisting, because Lord knew I needed it! What an awesome friend!!

The Rock N Roll Series Country Music Marathon for St Jude was WONDERFUL!! The fear of crowds didn't freak me out as badly as I though it would! I mean, ten thousands and ten thousands of people! WOW!! 
Leslie dropped me off Saturday morning bright and early (around 6:00 or so) in downtown Nashville. The traffic/crowds was CRAZY, but the race does a very good job of warning you of that ahead of time and preparing you. I was in race corral 20 out of 40! The corrals (groups of people) take turns crossing the start line so you don't have too many people starting at once. It took me 30 minutes just to get to the START LINE to begin...not a predicament that I am used to at my local races ;) 


I will honestly say that the race itself for me health-wise turned out SO GREAT and I am SO THANKFUL. I usually have stomach issues due to hydrating too little or too much during my long runs, but I did an awesome job with listening to my body during the race so I didn't have that problem. I drank water/gatorade A LOT more than I usually do because I had to, and I was CONSTANTLY having volunteers pour water on my head and down my back! The race itself was VERY hot. Started out cool (60s) but went to the 80s! I felt that I was hydrating too much during the race and that I would regret it, but I guess I did a good job since I did not get a stomach cramp at all (which is a BIG deal to me because I usually do!) and I didn't have to pee...which is weird for me also, because for anyone that REALLY knows me, I have a bladder the size of a thimble! I kept thanking God throughout the race for no stomach pain along with no other pain in my body! It was a great feeling to run with so many people through the ups and downs...LITERALLY...because this race, especially the first part of it (up to mile 18) was HILLY! It was a challenge, but it kept me motivated to keep moving since I know that there had to be a downhill ;) 

I didn't have any pain whatsoever until about mile 23-24...with all the excitement, music, people, etc, I can't even remember how or what I did, but I am figuring that I just landed on my right leg in a funny way because my right shin is still hurting and is making me limp a little bit. It is slightly better today, which I am totally thankful for, but it did cause me to start walking around mile 24...especially with that last BIG HILL around mile 25 (SO CRUEL...so close to the finish line, but so far!). I finished at 4:49:24 which I was happy with considering the heat, hills, and my shin issue at mile 24. I averaged a 10:49 pace...I did AMAZING my first 15 miles keeping it very close to a 10:00 pace!!! So, I finished, and I am a happy camper!

My review of the race itself: AWESOME! 
My only "negative thing" would be the size of the race causing issues with traffic, but with SO MANY people raising money for St. Jude, how can that be a negative thing? It's just something that you just plan for and arrive at your race early for to prepare!

The course itself was a challenge with the hills. Honestly, I don't know if I would have wanted this to be a first half marathon for anyone that I know if they wanted my advice because of that, but hey, if you are that hardcore and you train hard, you can do it! I honestly don't know if I would even recommend this for a first full marathon distance either, but hey, I trained/prepared for it and I did it! ;) It is not a flat race, I assure you of that!



The volunteers, people, and bands that came out for this race were AMAZING. There were times that I even forgot what mile I was at because of all the cheering, funny signs, music, and excitement! They had a band/musician/dj at almost every mile, and even though it's the "County Music" Marathon, they have music of ALL genres! I heard pop, country, classic rock, alternative rock, gospel...it was GREAT! I was fully entertained throughout the way! I did not need to bring my own music! The volunteers at the aid stations were awesome & friendly, and there were SO MANY aid stations with SO MANY things (water, gatorade, orange juice, oranges, pretzels, gu, vasoline, suntan lotion, beer, doughnuts...you name it!!!) and SO MANY porta potties (which thankfully I didn't have to use)! This race celebrated its 15th Annual this year, and I see why...it's SUCH a thought out, well prepared for, FUN race!!! The people in Nashville thoroughly enjoy and support this race; and for such a GREAT cause (St. Jude!).

Honestly, I would love to do it again next year, whether I do the full or the half! Or maybe I will possibly do another race in the Rock N Roll Marathon Series...we will just see!

Oh, what am I training for now, you ask?
Have a great week, everyone! :)

-Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment