Friday, April 25, 2014

Twas the day before the marathon...

I took the day off so I could have time to sleep in (you know you're an adult when sleeping until 6:30 is sleeping in!) and to get packed and organized for the big day tomorrow! As a runner, I found it appropriate that this week in my class, our unit story was "The Little Engine That Could".
So, for today and tomorrow, positive/happy thoughts (as always), and I need the attitude of the Little Engine: I think I can I think I can I think I can!! :-D 26.2 miles tomorrow!

I think that the biggest challenges tomorrow for me will be the heat (high of 82 and a low of 67...few clouds) and just hydrating from that throughout the way. I have trained mostly when it was a lot cooler than this, but I did have some hot training runs which I will keep in mind for tomorrow to help me remember to hydrate/fuel in time. I feel if I keep this underway, the physiological/mental challenges of it won't be a problem because at the Nashville Rock N Roll Marathon, they have a musician/band at EVERY mile! I am really looking forward to that excitement, and it will help me forget how tired I am and how much longer I need to go! But, there are other things...

Take a Gaterade Gu everyone 5-6 miles. Drink water, but not too much. Take your Aleve before race day for some relief. Wear shorts that don't chaff. Bring BodyGlide. Wear fuelbelt. Bring compression sleeves. Do I wear a tank top or a tech shirt for the heat? Should I wear a cap or a sweatband? Are my "new" running shoes broken in well enough, because I think I REALLY wore out my old ones? The Nike Dri Shorts or the trail running shorts? Oh, wait Holly, one more thing...

I need to breathe. I need to make sure that I am not pushing myself so much that I exhaust myself in this race, but at the same time push myself enough so I don't get picked up by the pacers (there is a time limit). I need to focus on the health/important things for tomorrow. I will be posting my progress/split times on race day through facebook, and there is also an app (The Rock and Roll Marathon App) that you can actually track me through. You will be able to see exactly where I am at on the course route along with my speed (or so it says). All you need is my bib #, which is 26082. Whenever I hear a "ding" or a "beep" on my cell phone arm band on race day, even though I can't check it right in (no walking..can't stop!!) I know it will be words of encouragement! If you see me start running backwards, tell me to turn myself around! haha! :) I would love to finish around 4 and a half hours (averaging a 10:15-10:30 minute mile), but hey, for a first marathon, I think my REAL goal should be just to finish and to not worry about time!!! :)

I am leaving at 1:00 today to drive up to Nashville to head to the race expo to pick up my packet and bib number this afternoon. I get to eat dinner tonight with my awesome friend, Leslie, who is my hotel and chauffeur through my whole marathon experience! THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN, LESLIE!!! :)  I didn't have to pay for a hotel or have to worry about driving on race day, and with the size of the race (tens of thousands of people), to not worry about walking, driving, or parking is such a HUGE deal!! She's AWESOME! I am sure this whole experience will make her want to run the Rock N Roll Marathon with me next year (hint hint). :-P Poor David is so busy with grad school, and with a recent death in the family, we know it's best for him to be at home during this time. And besides, I am sure David will run this with me next year too ;)....at least the half marathon, sweetie? :-D

WISH ME LUCK! Send happy thoughts/prayers my way through this whole experience! I can't wait to write my review about this race...I feel like such a newbie and I love it!! :) :) :)

--Holly




No comments:

Post a Comment